A Yellow card is an industry licence for the following EWP types,
issued through the EWPA (Elevating Work Platform Association of Australia)
  •       — Vertical Lift                             (VL)
  •       — Scissor Lift                              (SL)
  •       — Boom lift <11m                       (BL)
  •       — Truck mount boom <11m*  (TM)
  •       — Trailer mount boom <11m* (TL)
* Truck and trailer mounted booms are not very common so are generally only trained on request.
Do you need the Yellow Card to operate these machines?
This is a common and debated question in industry and the answer is no, it is not a legal requirement, however you do need to have proof of training, whether that be a Statement of Attainment or the Yellow Card. We touch more on this in our post ‘What licence do I need to operate EWP’. To read it click here.
Why choose the Yellow Card?
The Yellow Card is a well-known and respected licence in industry that meets WHS standards, making it an easy training option for employers and operators. Also, as it is such a well-known licence throughout Australia, operators are commonly asked to hold one before they can work on particular jobsites.
Did I mention when you do Yellow Card with WTC you also get a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment for RIIHAN301E – Operate elevating work platforms as well? Bonus!