What is an EWP?

When it comes to training and licencing for EWP’s, there are two common licences:

      –  High Risk Work WP licence

      –  EWPA Yellow Card licence

We receive a lot of questions about these two licences including what machines they cover, if there are any height restrictions and whether you need one or both.

In this post we are going to answer a few of these questions and hopefully provide a bit of clarity for you.

High Risk Work WP Licence 

It is a legal requirement to hold a high risk work WP licence when operating a Boom type EWP with a boom reach of 11m and above. Boom type EWP’s are also commonly known as cherry pickers and knuckle booms.

This licence does NOT allow you to operate a scissor lift. The only machine you are allowed to operate with a High Risk Work WP licence is a Boom type EWP.

A High Risk Work WP licence is nationally recognised and is issued through each individual state or territories WHS regulator. These regulators are commonly known as WorkCover however this is a former name. In NSW the WHS regulator is SafeWork NSW. You can find out your state or territory regulator at www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au

EWPA Yellow Card trained operator licence

A Yellow Card is an industry licence that can provide proof of training on one or more of the following ewp’s

  • Scissor lift
  • Vertical lift
  • Boom lift (under 11m)
  • Trailer lift (under 11m)
  • Truck mount (under 11m)

It is a common misconception that there is a height restriction on the scissor lift or vertical lift. As you can see in the list above, the 11m height restriction is only on the Boom lift, Trailer lift and Truck mount (a trailer lift or truck mount are booms that are fixed on either a trailer or truck)

So, is it a legal requirement to have a Yellow Card?

In short, no it is not a legal requirement. It is however a requirement of an employer and operator to have training that meets the duties placed upon them under the PCBU WHS Act 2012.

The Yellow Card is a well-known and respected licence in industry that meets these standards, making it an easy training option for employers and operators.  You could also do the unit of competence RIIHAN301D – Operate elevating work platforms, which is also sufficient, however it is not uncommon for job sites to request operators to have the Yellow Card even if they have the unit of competence. That’s why if you do the Yellow Card here with us at WTC you get both, so win win!